The long winter is finally over and many homeowners are beginning to think about opening their backyard pool for the summer season.
Before you call your pool cleaning service to prepare your pool, it’s important that you give your pool and friends.
Pre-Season Safety Checklist
Here, then, is a pre-season safety checklist you can use to make sure your pool and deck area are as safe as possible:
- Walk the perimeter of your deck and check for any loose boards or protruding nails. These should be repaired or replaced immediately.
- Check the stability of railings, stairs and ladders. If they are not in working order or you aren’t sure they will make it through the season, repair or replace them.
- Look at the joints and nails that are approved for use by the manufacturer.
- Check the wood on your decking. Is it warped or discolored? If so, it could mean that it’s not pressure treated or naturally durable.
- How many years has it been since you sealed your deck against water and sun damage? If you can’t remember, it could be time to do it again.
- Make sure your deck has a continuous load path which transfers the load or weight of the deck through its frame and forces that can weaken it.
Spending a few minutes conducting a safety check of your deck and enjoyable time playing in your backyard pool this summer.